Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 27, 2011

FIGHTS: A Clarification - I am not calling out Phoenix Jones' Super Friend...

I just want to make something very clear here.

I've been getting a few messages stating why I was calling out El Caballero.

Ultimo Dragon, pro-wrestling legend



When I sent the following message to Phoenix Jones, leader of the Rain City Superhero Movement on their Facebook group page ( http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phoenix-Jones/131083536954406 ) , I was in no way calling out his super friend, El Caballero.  Before I go on, I think the message speaks for itself.

El Caballero.  Perhaps simply uninformed of
the tradition and history of the mask he dons
Phoenix Jones,

It was great to see you and your superteam, The Rain City Superhero Movement, make an appearance at ZomBcon.

With respect, I have a concern. One of your team members was wearing an Ultimo Dragon mask.

I understand that you are a superteam, and represent some of the masked traditions of the decades-old folklore of superheroes.

But that mask represents a storied lucha libre history and tradition that Ultimo Dragon worked hard to obtain. He is one of the greatest luchadores to grace the squared circle.

May I respectfully suggest your teammate alter or adjust the design of the mask so that it does not represent Ultimo Dragon but the spirit of your teammate.

You and your superteam embody the noble values found in the tradition of superheroes. A ask you to please respect the equally noble and storied tradition of the lucha libre legends who have shared their magic all around the world.

Sincerely,

Bowie Valeriano Ibarra
ZombieBloodFights.com



My writer friend on set in LA.  He's wearing
a Dos Caras mask and having some fun.
Look, I have no problem with what they are doing.  In fact, I wholeheartedly support their dangerous endeavor that provides protection in their community.

I don't mind people playing around with masks, at events or even with their friends.  In fact, my buddy got a hold of a Dos Caras mask a while back while on a photo shoot.  He was just having some fun.



I just strongly feel when you utilize an established masked persona to fight crime, its important to consider what that mask represents around the world.  In fact, what it could mean to the true owner of the mask if he were to find out.

So I respectfully feel El Caballero needs to create his own design for a mask and start HIS own legacy with his superteam.  The mask he was wearing at zomBcon represents one of the greatest and most decorated pro-wrestlers to ever step in the ring.  I feel once he understands this, he can make an informed choice.

In fact, here's a link to a reputable website that offers custom mask creation.  They can create a professional grade mask to his exact specifications, perfect for fighting crime.

http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=2212

So just some clarification.  I feel so strong about this idea I would go to an extreme.  In the tradition of Mexican lucha libre, I would put my hair on the line for his mask in a best of three match.



But I'm too old and too out of shape for fighting.  And I believe these men, who have such respect for the superhero traditions, will also respect the traditions of the sacred masks of lucha libre once they understand what the masks stand for.


Ultimo Dragon: Multi-time World Champion
==============

YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY READING:

Wrestling history!  WWE honors lucha libre tradition with an epic
Mask vs. Mask match in the heart of Mexico City.

Twitter comes to Anarchy Championship Wrestling

+++++++++

Bowie V. Ibarra is the author of the zombie horror series, "Down the Road" from Permuted Press and Simon and Schuster.  His upcoming books, a re-release of "Pit Fighters: Baptism by Fire" and "Pit Fighters: Double Cross" are combat sports-related stories featuring fighters from around the world competing in money fights.

You can stay updated on Bowie's works and network with him at http://www.zombiebloodfights.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment