Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

FIGHTS: #RIPWarrior

DAYS AFTER WWE HALL OF FAME INDUCTION, WRESTLING ICON PASSES
by
Bowie V. Ibarra

 
When I think of The Ultimate Warrior, I think of what a maniac he was.
 
The guy started out with three other bodybuilders on a stable called 'PowerTeam USA'.  When two of the dudes dropped out, Warrior (known then as Justice) and Sting (yes,that Sting) formed a (really bad) tag team called 'The Blade Runners'.  Sting became Blade Runner Flash, and The Ultimate Warrior was Blade Runner Rock.  The team would later break up and Rock would become The Dingo Warrior.
 
Then, WWE came calling, and he went on to be one of the biggest and most over-the-top figures in WWE history as The Ultimate Warrior.  He even went on to beat Hulk Hogan clean at the SkyDome in one of wrestling's biggest matches.
 
And his promos?  Absurdly hilarious and intense.
 

I'd be a liar if I didn't say I wasn't finally drawn in by his charisma and intensity.  I bought the neon wristbands back in the day.  He was a wild man, but he was fun to watch.

But when I think of the Ultimate Warrior, I think of a friend who walked out of my life several years ago.

See, my friend, who I met in college, was a big fan of The Ultimate Warrior.  He was such a big fan that he got one of the shittiest tattoos of the Ultimate Warrior mask you'd ever see on his arm.  I always gave him a hard time about that.

Hearing the news of the passing of the Ultimate Warrior, I can't help but immediately think of him.

Buddy, wherever you are right now, I offer my condolences to you.  And to all Warriors family, fans, and friends.  Condolences.

#RIP #UltimateWarrior

Here's one of his best matches.


His Hall of Fame speech.

 
His haunting words in his last public appearance.
 
 
#RIP #UltimateWarrior

No comments:

Post a Comment